Remote v.s. In-Person Depositions
While not legally necessary, depositions are an incredibly valuable step in the course of law. Attorneys use depositions as a way to gather a complete profile of facts and testimonies before the trial. Court reporters record the questions and answers in a transcript attorneys use for analysis at a later date.
Depositions usually occur at a legal office, but with large gatherings advised against due to the global health crisis, more and more legal professionals are turning to remote depositions. Remote depositions serve the same purpose as in-person depositions, just from the safety of one’s home, but there are some key differences to keep in mind when preparing for your deposition.
Preparing for Remote Depositions
- Inform all parties beforehand that you would like to conduct a remote deposition.
- Share all documents and exhibits with everyone involved (opposing counsel and court reporter included).
- Use a device with a built-in webcam and microphone, or use an external webcam/microphone.
- Make sure your background is as clean and professional as possible.
- Wear professional attire.
- Limit excess background noise.
- Speak slowly and clearly, and do not speak over another person to ensure everyone is heard.
Preparing for In-Person Depositions
- Book your meeting space ahead of time.
- Reserve any necessary equipment ahead of time.
- Take into account any travel time and expenses.
- Arrive at the meeting space early.
- Dress for court
Search Our Court Reporters Database
Find the Services You Need!
Our National Headquarters
950 GLENN DRIVE
FOLSOM, CA 95630
Schedule A Service
Find a Court Reporting Firm Anywhere In the Nation!
Find a Reporter Using Our Searchable Menu Below
Learn More About Our Texas Partners
In Texas, everything is bigger-- and attorneys expect their court reporting professionals to fit that bill. They have to be faster, more accurate, and more efficient than their competitors. On top of that, they have to offer superior customer service, so attorneys can...
New Partner Pages
As an international court reporting company, it goes without saying that you can find the fast, accurate, and reliable court reporting professionals you need anywhere in the United States. Our partners go through an intense vetting process to ensure they live up to...
Learn More About Our Ohio Partners
With the National Network Reporting Company, you will find a vast number of skilled, dedicated, and accurate court reporting professionals-- including our partners in Ohio. If a case ever brings you to the great state of Ohio, you have two great options to choose...