Remote v.s. In-Person Depositions
While not legally necessary, depositions are an incredibly valuable step in the course of law. Attorneys use depositions as a way to gather a complete profile of facts and testimonies before the trial. Court reporters record the questions and answers in a transcript attorneys use for analysis at a later date.
Depositions usually occur at a legal office, but with large gatherings advised against due to the global health crisis, more and more legal professionals are turning to remote depositions. Remote depositions serve the same purpose as in-person depositions, just from the safety of one’s home, but there are some key differences to keep in mind when preparing for your deposition.
Preparing for Remote Depositions
- Inform all parties beforehand that you would like to conduct a remote deposition.
- Share all documents and exhibits with everyone involved (opposing counsel and court reporter included).
- Use a device with a built-in webcam and microphone, or use an external webcam/microphone.
- Make sure your background is as clean and professional as possible.
- Wear professional attire.
- Limit excess background noise.
- Speak slowly and clearly, and do not speak over another person to ensure everyone is heard.
Preparing for In-Person Depositions
- Book your meeting space ahead of time.
- Reserve any necessary equipment ahead of time.
- Take into account any travel time and expenses.
- Arrive at the meeting space early.
- Dress for court
Search Our Court Reporters Database
Our National Headquarters
950 GLENN DRIVE
FOLSOM, CA 95630
Schedule A Service
Find a Court Reporting Firm Anywhere In the Nation!
Find a Reporter Using Our Searchable Menu Below
Attorneys in the Columbus, Ohio area know exactly which court reporting firm delivers on the services they need with the customer service they deserve. With over 30 years of serving these attorneys under the firm's belt, Anderson Reporting is one of the...
When an attorney requires a Portland court reporter they can rely on, they should turn to one of the oldest firms in the state: Beovich, Walter & Friend. For over 60 years, BWF Reporters have served the Portland area with an unparalleled level of attention to...
As one of Texas' major cities, legal professionals in Houston need a court reporting firm whose speed, accuracy, and efficiency can be relied upon each time. Our partner, Hanna & Hanna Reporting, can deliver on the promise of quality reporting and quality customer...